It’s a rare door that hasn’t felt the knock of the Jehovah’s Witnesses more than once and it’s an even rarer Jehovah’s Witness who has heard the gospel message at one of those doors from the resident Christian.
The reason is simply that it is a far from simple task to witness to a Witness. It’s easier to just close the door and avoid the difficult task of sorting through a maze of confusing doctrines. Let’s try to make it a bit simpler.
There are five important facts to remember about the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watchtower Organization.
1. They have accepted the Organization as the Prophet of God.
2. They have accepted the Organization as God’s sole channel for His truth.
3. They believe that to reject the Organization is to reject God.
4. They believe that only the Organization can interpret the Bible; as individuals they are unable to do so.
5. They believe the Watchtower Magazine contains God’s truth, directed by Him, through the Organization.
What does the Organization and Watchtower Magazine teach that is in conflict with Orthodox Christianity?
1. That Jesus is a created being/a creature.
2. That Jesus is actually Michael the Archangel
3. That Jesus was not resurrected bodily, but as a spirit being.
4. That Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 (secretly to the Organization)
5. That Jesus was only a man when on earth, not the Word Become flesh.
6. That the Holy Spirit is only an active force, not the person of God.
7. That Hell is simply the grave.
8. That Heaven’s doors is open to only 144,000.
9. That the majority of Witnesses must remain on earth.
10. That salvation is found only through the Organization.
11. That it must be maintained by energetic works for the Organization until the end when one may merit eternal life on a paradise earth.
12. That Satan is the author of the doctrine of the Trinity.
13. That Jesus cannot be given worship, but only honor as Jehovah’s first creation.
The Jehovah’s Witnesses do not believe or teach some of the very basic tenets of Christian doctrine.
They deny what The Bible Teaches as Truth…
1. That God exists in a Trinity of three eternal and coequal persons:
Father: “To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be Saints: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.”(Romans 1:7)
Son: “Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)
Holy Spirit: “Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied to men but to God.” (Acts 5:3,4)
“For there are three that testify” (1 John 5:7)
2. Jesus is no less than God in human flesh
“For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity
lives in bodily form” (Colossians 2:9)
3. God, the Holy Spirit, is the third member of the Holy Trinity
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” (Matt. 28:19)
“While they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” (Acts 13:2)
4. Jesus Christ rose bodily from the grave
“The Jews replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?” But the temple he had spoken of was his body.” (John 2:20,21)
“Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” (Luke 24:39)
5. Jesus is visibly coming again to set up His Kingdom on earth
“At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.” (Matt. 24:30)
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)
“Look, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.” (Rev.1:7).
6. Salvation is in the person of Jesus Christ and comes through faith in Him.
“They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved —you and your household.”(Acts 16:31).
7. It’s the work of God for man, not a work of man for God
“But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior” (Titus 3:4-6).
8. Jesus was and should be worshipped
“A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” (Jn.20:26-28)
“When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route.” (Matt. 2:10-12)
“Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.” (Matt. 14:33)
Witnessing to a Witness.
We need to remember that anyone who denies the full divinity of Jesus Christ and carries the heavy burden of a false, religious spirit is going through a lot of highs and lows. True believers, empowered by the companionship of God, the Holy Spirit have a constant presence of the Lord about them that seems to act like a magnet at times.
When a Watchtower member comes to your front door and you open it, what are they thinking about? What do they think when you talk about Christianity? First, it’s impossible to offer them any hope of heaven
It doesn’t matter what the Jehovah’s Witnesses believe about Jesus. One day, every single one of them, including every leader who perpetuated this gross heresy, will have to meet the Master. On that day, “every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Whether it’s at the banqueting table of joy or at the great white throne judgment of the damned, every knee will bow.
Our prayer as Christians is that God would open up the hearts and minds of these people who are ensnared in this foolishly created, man-made system and organization, as they believe the lie and try to earn their salvation through the watchtower, apart from Jesus Christ. We pray that they would come to know the triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who loves us and desires that we come into a personal relationship with Him. We pray for the lost members of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, people ensnared by lying leaders.
The Word of God says : “Those who guide this people mislead them, and those who are guided are led astray.” (Isa. 9:16) The King James Version says that they are destroyed. What an ignoble end for a misled people who only seek to serve God. What a tragedy.
We thank God for Jesus Christ, who took our sin and nailed it to the cross and covered it with His shed blood as the infinite payment, the eternal lamb of God once for all time. We thank the Lord for the Holy Spirit, who comes and lives in us and gives us new life. To God be the honor and glory and praise.. We worship Him alone and we thank you, Lord we love you, Lord. “Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”