Why Preach the Word?

Originally Posted on July 6, 2010 by Kevin

2 Timothy 4:2 gives us the short answer to the question, “Why Preach”?:
“Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.”

St. Francis of Assisi was reported to have said, “Preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary use words.” I have heard this statement many times and find it to be really interesting. This statement is one of such statements that many believe it is actually a verse of the Bible.
The Bible has much to say about preaching:

Psalm 40:9,” I have preached righteousness in the great congregation: lo, I have not refrained my lips, O LORD, thou knowest.”

Matthew 4:17, “From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

1 Peter 1:25, “But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.”

1 Corinthians 1:23, “But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;”

2 Corinthians 4:5, “For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus sake.”

In the Bible, preaching actually means to talk to someone. The preachers in the early Church were in the habit of calling their public discourses “talks”. The word homiletics is derived from the Greek word homilia and signifies a mutual talk. Preaching is the proclamation of the Good News of salvation. Sometimes in speaking the truth of God’s Word we must relate some hard facts. If we die in our sins we will spend an eternity out of God’s presence; we will spend eternity in a place called Hell. That’s not pleasant to share but it is precisely what the Bible teaches.

Unfortunately, in many churches today many well intentioned preachers are afraid to teach the truth of God’s Word for fear it will turn people away. Instead, they preach watered down sermons. Preaching should compel us to change and live a holy life. The Bible warned us that this would happen.

I strongly believe that in these last days Lucifer will raise up ungodly men that will just be nice to people and not speak the truth to them all the while they are heading towards Hell. Please don’t misunderstand me my friend, I am not advocating being rude or mean to people. However, just being nice to people is not sharing the gospel. I know many atheists and unfaithful that are super nice to people.

Copyright ©2010-2011 Kevin R. Airrington All rights reserved.

26049: The Power of Speaking God"s Word: How To Preach memorable sermons The Power of Speaking God’s Word: How To Preach memorable sermons
By Wilbur Ellsworth / Christian Focus PublicationsThis book grew out of the comment of a trusted congregation member to the author that 80% of his sermons were immemorable, but that the other 20% had profoundly changed their life. Ellsworth started searching for reasons as to why some sermons had such a greater impact than others. Previously he had dismissed preaching without a written manuscript as being almost certain to be shallow, full of clichis and repetitious. Surely ‘deep’ teaching needed more support than his poor memory could provide? Launching out in faith, Ellsworth started reducing his notes to the extent that they could be contained on one post-it note. The result? A learned colleague said that you would never have guessed how ‘so much effect could have come from a single change.’

Copyright © 1989 - 2017 AIRRINGTON MINISTRIES | www.airrington.com |All Rights Reserved.

Leave a Reply

This site exists to give hope to the lost, truth to the pretender and strength to the believer.

Copyright © 2018 airrington.com. All Rights Reserved.  WordPress Plugin

Website is Protected By Using The WP Site Protector Plugin From : ExattoSoft.com