Recently, many questions, concerns and attacks have came my way and I would like to clear a couple things up.
FIRST — the gifts of the Spirit are legit…100% biblical. There are of course the 9 that Paul list sin 1 Corinthians 12:4-10. To be honest there are probably over 600 gifts of the Spirit.
SECOND — you do not have to speak in tongues, heal the sick, prophecy or operate in a single gift to make Heaven. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
I read nothing in John 3:16 about speaking in tongues as a prerequisite to making Heaven.
We have all heard that if you speak in tongues you are going tell…then another crowd says…if you don’t speak in tongues you are going to hell. I find NOWHERE IN GODs WORD that supports either of those false doctrines.
We tend to mock what we do not understand. I have a friend in Reno…him and his wife are baptist through and through. One night while at a marriage retreat they were sitting around eating their pork n beans and hot dogs and one of their camp mates started making fun of the Pentecostals for speaking in tongues…the more he jokes he tossed the louder the laughter got.
My friend was very quiet…so his camp mate said, “hey brother Daniel what do you think?” My buddy Dan said, “I don’t know if this constitutes one of these but I do know that the only unpardonable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Ghost…so I have no opinion on the subject.” With the all the laughter stopped and everyone dispersed to their respective tents for the night.
Back in his tent his wife told him she was very proud of him. She asked if he said that because he and I are friends…and believe me…we have had many conversations on the subject. He said that although I came to mind it was not his reason…his reason was exactly what he said, “blasphemy of the Holy Ghost!”
His wife told him that she was filled with the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues. he immediately said, “I forbid you to see Kevin again.” LOL They both laughed…the point is…GOD IS GOD ALL BY HIMSELF. It would be easy for me to mock my good friend Daniel from Reno because of his once saved always saved doctrine. But then I would have to mock my other good friends and brothers in Christ…Jeff Petkevicius and Gary Alan Roby.
Ye speaketh in tongues…ye donteth (er something like that. :)) who cares. We can discuss it…share scripture…I love that! But to mock or get angry because someone speaks in tongues or once saved always saved…or ye believe in Eternal Sanctification (the doctrine that claims in our mortal bodies we will reach a state of sinlessness)…it just doesn’t matter. God isn’t going to check our golden ticket at the gate and separate the Pentecostals, the Baptist, the Lutherans, etc. If you believe, accepted Him and did your best to live a Holy life that is pleasing to God you are going to Heaven. Period!
Here is a shorty list of the things we MUST agree on or one of us is not a Christian…these are not negotiable.
1) We MUST believe that God the Father, Almighty, Maker of the Heavens (heaven: where the birds fly, heaven: where the plants and the stars are and the third Heaven: where God lives) and earth: believing that God did it in a manner any different that Moses lays out in genesis 1 & 2 our faith is in question.
2) We MUST believe that JESUS CHRIST is His only begotten (begotten= one and only)…I know churches that quote the KJV word for word…yet believe Jesus is the Son of God…on one hand and the other…Jesus is the brother of Satan! How can Jesus be God’s ONE AND ONLY SON (John 3:16) and He have a brother? One of us is wrong.
3) We MUST believe that JESUS CHRIST was conceived by the Holy Ghost and born of a virgin named Mary. To deny this is to deny the deity (divine status, The Creator and Supreme Being) of Christ.
4) We MUST believe that JESUS CHRIST suffered under the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate under authority of emperor of Tiberius; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell.
5) We MUST believe that on the third day JESUS rose from the dead:
6) We MUST believe that JESUS ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty.
7) We MUST believe in the HOLY GHOST.
8) We MUST believe in the forgiveness of sins through the split blood of Jesus Christ. Jesus Paid it all with that one act. “And he is the propitiation for our sins…” 1 John 2:2
9) We MUST believe in the resurrection of the body.
10) We MUST believe in life everlasting.
These 10 things we MUST agree upon or one of us is NOT a Christian. Everything else is just, well FLUFF.
FLUFF: Acts 12:4 — the KJV uses the word “Easter”. It’s the only place in the Bible where we see the word “Easter”. My friend and brother in the Lord Jeff Petkevicius and I have had a few discussions on Acts 12:4. He loves the King James Bible…but he simply believes that the translators of the KJV got this one wrong. No big deal…he still loves the Bible and still loves the King James and he doesn’t care….he says, “No big deal.”
My contention is that the word being translated is the Greek word pascha… which does indeed means Passover in English….except in Acts 12:4 where it means Easter. The Greek word pascha appears 29 times in the New Testament. 28 times it is translated as Passover. I have spent a considerable amount of time studying this to get it right. Jeff says, “who cares.”
And Jeff is right…who cares. This is fluff. Many things that Christians argue over is FLUFF!!! If we all spent more time on Jesus and less time on the fluff…we would have more time to win souls to Christ.
Now, I say that…and please don’t laugh at me…I wrote an article back in March 2014 called 25 Gifts of the Holy Ghost. In which, I spend some time discussing the gift of Tongues. Many will be more than satisfied with the essay. But some of you may want to go down deep and come up wet…
For those that want to look at this a little deeper here you go: http://airrington.com/?page_id=1895
There is LOTS and LOTS of scripture in this essay…as is amost of my essays. So, I recommend you find the link at the top right of the article labeled: “Download this page in PDF format”. Click this…it will automatically convert the article to PDF…perfectly formatted…and then print it…keep it in your Bible…where you can verify scriptures write notes, etc.